Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am a female, age 43, I had my gallbladder removed three weeks

Customer Question

I am a female, age 43, I had my gallbladder removed three weeks ago because of sever pain in my upper right side, fever and a HIDA test result that showed 0% IF. Since surgery I am still having sever pain, disorientation (mentally cloudy, difficulty forming thoughts) extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss. I have had an endoscope, colonoscopy, new HIDA scan and new blood work. They all came back negative for any clear cause of the symptoms. The pain and fatigue continue to get worse. I now have pain in my upper abdomin (just below my ribs), the pain radiates around my right side to my mid and lower back. Do you have any suggestions on what may be causing this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. A few questions first please

Have you had an abdominal ct scan?

Can you list for me all the blood tests you've had?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a CT scan scheduled this week.
The blood test have included CBC with auto diff., complete metabolic panel and CRP (C-reactive Protein).
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And were your liver enzymes normal? What about your lipase and amylase levels?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They told me all of those blood test came back normal. I do not have the detailed results of each test.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK Michelle. We can certainly continue after this if you'd like but here are my thoughts

You need either the CT scan or an MRI to look for a retained stone in the common bile duct (even if no gall bladder stones were detected before) and for any dilitation of the common bile duct or the pancreatic duct, and part of this could be pancreatitis

If you haven't had a H pylori screen for a stomach infection you also need that

Another possibility is spasm of the sphincter of Oddi where the common bile duct enters the small intestine, so I would also do an MRCP study to look for that