A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I wanted dr z mental health

Customer Question

You replied
Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:46 AM EST
Sorry do dry mouth masty taste ans few red areas on tongue normal
Ok so i asked this question and said its not normal on this site its fungal and now i got amswer same doc it could be steves johnson syndrome a severe allergic reaction
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I want dr z
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Z is not online. Can someone else help you?
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been very helpful if u read my talks with him like i said above and ine doc scared me now im panicking mouth dry taste funny little strip pinkish center tongue i have been on wmeffexor xr 37.5 mg had a lit if side effects they just subside know i has to go tk 75 mg how king does this last and is the above ok
Hi, Wendy,
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Stevens Johnson syndrome is a serious allergic reaction to a drug. Its symptoms are fever, blistering and peeling skin, skin pain, etc. Since you have been on Effexor, increasing the dose from 37.5 to 75 mg isn't likely to cause any allergic reaction.
Dry mouth is a common side effect of drugs like Effexor and that can cause some resultant irritation, and even redness. Be sure to stay well hydrated. If just drinking water doesn't help, you can buy oral moisturizers like Biotene at the drug store to relieve dry mouth.
I'm sorry someone frightened you with this out of left field term. It is most highly unlikely.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it just feels un comfortable and i was always told if u were to have allergic reaction it would be the same day u took it
Side effects i understand but how ling does the side effects last i have already been on tue low dose 1 month and just got rid of them
Hi, Wendy,
It can take up to 4-6 weeks for the new dose to take effect, and equally as long for the side effects to go away. In the meanwhile, staying well-hydrated and taking some comfort measures can help. In addition to an oral moisturizer, you can try mints or chewing gum (regular or sugar free). Just be careful not to use huge amounts of sugar-free since the ingredient that makes it taste sweet can cause diarrhea if taken in large quantities.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about warm water and salt
That's an excellent formula for gargling and rinsing the mouth, but you should stay well hydrated.
Best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok im drinking alot of water and ill try salt warm water then maybe biotene later
Great, that sounds like a good plan for at least the next week or so. If that doesn't help, you should see your primary provider to make sure you haven't picked up a mouth infection totally unrelated to the Effexor usage.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happended before when i first started
But am i accurate i would have already had acsllergic reaction already if i was to have one
Yes, you would most likely have already had an allergic reaction earlier with the Effexor if you had been going to have one. You really don't seem to be having any kind of an allergic reaction at all, and not a serious one. I mean serious in the form of dangerous, not how much discomfort it is causing you. I don't dismiss your discomfort for a minute, but it isn't dangerous.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah i hate the side effects usually got tingly lips tongue warm flushing headaces then it stopped now i have to deal withit with just a increase
Yes, sometimes that happens. Side effects do decrease with time and often disappear altogether. When using drugs like Effexor it helps to keep your eye on the horizon. It will get better, it just takes a matter of weeks rather than hours or days.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks hopefully im allset can inleave this open for a few hours kinda scared
Hi, Wendy,
That will be fine. I will check in periodically to see that matters are still fine with you.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would ice cream be alright vanilla
Sure it would. Sounds good! Jello, applesauce, bananas, anything soft is fine.
Schuyler
~
Hi Wendy,
I haven't heard back from you, so assume you are feeling better. The side effects should minimize as time goes on.
All the best,
Schuyler
~