Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Just trying to research why my ggt levels are 668. I'm worried

Customer Question

Just trying to research why my ggt levels are 668. I'm worried sick. I had a liver sonic gram done and it came back ok as well as blood test for hepatitus
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello! The GGT test has normal range of 15 to 85 IU/L but this liver test is very sensitive. Most commonly this liver marker is the MOST SENSITIVE to drinking perhaps too much alcohol. The GGT test should be accompanied by other liver function tests. AST ALT ALK PHOS ( or ALP) bilirubin are tests that add to the GGT and help to give much more complete picture of liver health.... If you drink alcoholic drinks then GGT is most likely to be affected... If you have pattern of high liver enzymes ( high AST, ALT,bilirubin, etc) and if this is not due to alcohol then further steps of evaluation should be carried out.... You might need testing for common viral causes of inflammation of the liver >>> hep A, Hep B, Hep C and even mono virus... Your medicines may be reviewed as some drugs can cause inflammation of the liver... The liver may be checked structurally with ultrasound or abdominal CT There are a range of possible causes of the finding of the high GGT...this marker as in your case may be quite high...this alone is not dire so don't panic!! A more complete picture needs to be developed as to what is going on... A range of causes are possible to explain this finding... Your doctor will probably pursue some additional tests...You might be referred to a gastroenterologist... I hope that this information is helpful for you.If you have further questions or discussion then I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards, ***** ***** MD