Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Ast 147, ALT 99. 6 months ago I was89 and 74. years prior,

Customer Question

Ast 147, ALT 99. 6 months ago I was89 and 74. For 5 years prior, I hovered around 80 and 70, but it just shot up recently. No change in my drinking habit. Heavy daily drinker.Liver is painful and very swollen. Dr. says to lay off but is not concerned stating "you never know if/when you get cirrhosis".I am attempting to quit. What is my outlook in your opinion? If my liver recovers, how long does that take?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concern.
Your AST and ALT numbers are gradually creeping up --but still considered only mildly elevated.
Since, you so not seem to have any leg swelling or stomach swelling, you do not have any other symptoms.
So this mild elevation is not due to the liver exhaustion at least.
And you have fatty liver which can cause this elevation as well.
Fenofibrate also can affect your liver.
Ideally, I suggest a liver scan to check for cirrhosis.
That is more sensitive than the blood tests.
Fibroscan is nowadays favored which assess liver stiffness with doppler ultrasound.
Still, it seems no big damage done so far.
You should quit drinking as soon as possible.
Please follow a healthy diet.
Please eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables. They have natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.
Saturated fats like: full-cream dairy products, margarines, processed vegetable oils (hydrogenated fats), deep fried foods should be avoided.
Please consider oat, rice, almond or soy milks.
Eat the good fats which contain essential fatty acids in their natural unprocessed form.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****