Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Good morning Why sometimes i check my fasting blood sugar

Customer Question

Good morning
Why sometimes i check my fasting blood sugar i find it in the 90s (between 92 - 97) while that sometimes it will be in the range of 80s 2 hours after eating ?
I take a reading every 3 months & i am not diabetic .
Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. When it's in the 80's are you having any symptoms like hunger, sweating, faint feeling, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i didn't
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK. First off there may not be a problem at all here, but you may be having what's called reactive hypoglycemia--excess insulin secreted after a meal.

True reactive hypoglycemia causes the symptoms I mentioned and the blood glucose usually drops into the 70's or 60's with that.

While I don't think this is a problem you should discuss this with your doctor and get a HGB A1C test and a glucose tolerance test since reactive hypoglycemia, in time, may turn into diabetes

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean that i have diabetes now .
I checked yesterday 2 hours after my lunch & it was 92 .
then i did A1C test since about 4 months & it was good .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, you don't have diabtes now but you may get it in the future so it would be best to get the glucose tolerance test or at least discuss this with your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is hypoglycemia? & why you diagnosed me that i may i have it .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Low blood sugar. I'm not saying for sure you have reactive hypoglycemia but since your blood sugar sometimes drops after eating you may so that's why I say at least tell your doctor about the drop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it not dropped it is still within the normal limit . Which is 80 to 140 for post prandial test .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Yes but it really shouldn't drop that far two hours after eating, even if it is still withing normal limits.

As I said at the beginning there may be absolutely nothing abnormal about this but still you should at least discuss it with your doctor

Let me know how that goes and please remember to rate my service to you