Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can a concussion cause a strokr

Customer Question

can a concussion cause a strokr
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
No...a TIA is a vascular occlusion due to clot that may cause neurological symptoms of a stroke that RESOLVES within 24 hours...
Strokes may be of two types...90 percent are due to a clot causing a vascular block and neurological or brain injury...10 percent of strokes may be due to a hemorrhage or bleed from a vascular injury...these may be caused by very high blood pressure or a weakened vessel such as an aneurysm...
A concussion is a head injury that may relate to a bruise type injury. A concussion is usually mild and transient in effect. A concussion may be typically something such as a head impact of a football player as example that may cause a brief loss of consciousness ...
So a stroke vs a concussion is referring to very different type events...
A TIA is serious but that may clear and if RESOLVES then it averts the persisting injury of stroke...
A TIA following treatment would call for very careful prevention measures to help avoid a future stroke...usually aspirin plus Plavix >> don't smoke>>control high blood pressure>> control high cholesterol>>if diabetes then good control of blood sugar would be key...
I hope that this is helpful for you.If you have further questions or discussion then I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback!
Thank you and Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD