Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I'm pretty sure I have an impacted bowel. I've been a little

Customer Question

I'm pretty sure I have an impacted bowel. I've been a little constipated for a week and terribly constipated since Monday. I tried a stool softener on Tuesday night and a laxative Wednesday about noon. Nothing works. I have a constant urge to go and a lot of pressure in my rectum. When I sit on the toilet, it feels like it's descending but if anything a tiny piece breaks off. Then I have to work to retract it and then it's very uncomfortable to walk or sit. I am miserable! There's even pressure in my pelvic area and it takes a while to pee.
I am unfortunately out of town on business and won't be home until late tonight. I don't have a doctor so I'm not sure what to do. Reading online it sounds like the only thing that will resolve an impacted bowel is help from a doctor or ER. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern.
As per your description,you can try some self care remedies like
Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids and try prune juice.
Also try stool softener once again.
Warm sitz bath can be helpful.
Do exercises.
If you still have impacted stools, you will need to get a manual evacuation at ER or nearby doctor.This needs to be done by a trained person as manual removal can stimulate vagus nerve and cause heart rhythm irregularities.
The method usually involves use of mineral oil enema to soften stool followed by use of a gloved lubricated finger by the person removing the stool to enter rectum and slowly breaking up the impacted stool into small pieces for removal.Enema may need to be repeated after manual removal to allow all faeces to come out.
If you are unable to pass gas with impacted stools then visit ER now to rule out intestinal obstruction.
I'm here to discuss further queries until you get satisfied with our conversation.
Please press reply button rather than give poor/bad service.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm able to pass gas from time to time. How can I tell the difference between regular constipation (I've done all the things you suggested) and an impacted bowel? And if it's impacted, how urgent is it that I see a doctor? Should I go to an ER here out of town or should I wait until I get home late tonight? I can probably tolerate the discomfort until then but I don't want to wait if there's a health risk to do so.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
I understand your discomfort.
As you have miserable pressure in pelvic area and difficulty in urination so you need to be seen by a doctor ASAP.
A fecal impaction is a large lump of dry, hard stool that stays stuck in the rectum and unable to pass out and causing pain and urge in rectum.
As you have history of hemorrhoids also so they can bleed if stools get stuck for a long period of time in rectum.
So if possible you should visit ER now.
Otherwise try such self care remedies in the meantime.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.