Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been on Prozac 20 mg weeks and anxiety.

Customer Question

I have been on Prozac 20 mg for 5 weeks for OCD and anxiety. In the past, I've been on that dosage for many years, and within this time frame I felt significantly better. This time I don't. My sleep is worse, I'm having more morning panic and the OCD seems
worse, not better. Shouldnt I have noticeable improvement by now? I have tried Zoloft and Luvox and they didn't seem to help much either. Maybe the drugs simply don't work for me anymore. I don't know what to do.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Perhaps I suspect that the medication is the same as before(Prozac) but I think that more probably you are restarting on this medication from a more difficult start point psychologically.
So I think that you may more benefit this time from increased dose of Prozac such as 40mg....(I am NOT TELLING YOU TO CHANGE YOUR OWN DOSE HERE BUT RATHER TO DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR PSYCHIATRIST!!)
Other treatment options may be considered for your condition (OCD) Your psychiatrist might decide to try a combination of Prozac 20mg plus an added anxiety medication for example.
I suspect from your history that you may be starting from a more difficult starting point at this time than previously.
I think that your situation may be dealt with successfully so hang in there!!
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you think I need to give it a bit more time before deciding it's not working? I'm afraid of side effects of a larger dose and am starting to think using tools like meditation make work better than meds this time. I'm terrified of weight gain which happened before and I'm having a lot more anxiety.
Hello again--
Yes more time on current dose is fine. Adding more counseling would be a good idea. I agree with you on that.
So keep on current path and follow up with your psychiatrist.Several potential options are available if needed. You do not need to worry that this has to be solved TODAY!! You have time!!
I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.Best Regards!!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had so many traumatic things happen at the same time. But it doesn't mean I can't recover, does it? And I'm afraid of my fear. My therapist said my fear will make me sick again which put me in a tailspin and wasn't very helpful. My doctor assured me this couldn't happen. I am so afraid to embrace my health and a healthy life for fear it will be taken from me again.
Hello again--
Yes you should recover. Fears will come and go...that is part of life..you aren't alone in the fact that you have fears. Your condition goes along with more degree of anxiety, fear, intrusive thoughts but this is under treatment. You should improve with time...focus on recovery and wellness!!
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.Best Regards--
Anthony Bray MD