Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I am researching the results of recent bloodwork. Went to

Customer Question

I am researching the results of recent bloodwork. Went to doctor for being short of breath upon little exertion, achy legs, toe cramps, intolerance to BOTH hot and cold, sweating after eating. TSH came back 0.71. Free T4 is 1.26. Platelet count high at 441 and hemoglobin A1C of 5.8. My Mom has thyroid problem and only 1/2 of her parathyroid remains.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern.
As per your reports,A high platelet count doesn't always cause symptoms, so I won't tell you not to worry about it but you need a CBC and manually platelets counting performed by a pathologist to check things out.
If your white blood cell count and hemoglobin are normal and the platelets are only elevated, then no other workup would be needed.
Your TSH and FT4 are within normal range.
Your HbA1c is slightly high(Normal range (no diabetes): Less than 5.7%).
Your reports don't indicate any life threatening concern.
And your doctor may further advise Vitamin B 12,Vitamin D 3,calcium levels in blood to check them out.
Possible causes of legs cramps may include Vitamin B 12 deficiency,Nerve impingement at lumbo-sacral spine,potassium/ magnesium imbalance,diabetes , poor circulation, medications induced.
Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of fluids.
Also take some magnesium supplement.
When you have a cramp, you should massage the calf and flex it towards the knee or try to walk on the affected leg.
Do stretching exercises.
Use a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back.
Take potassium containing foods like cabbage, bananas etc.
Take multivitamin containing B complex supplement.
If the muscle is sore, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications ( tylenol or ibuprofen) can also be helpful.
In more severe cases, antispasm muscle relaxant medications can be helpful.
If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than give us poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.