Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am recently nervous about an exposure about 2 weeks after

Customer Question

I am recently nervous about an exposure about 2 weeks after it happened I started to catch a cold was never as bad as the flu tho I had a small cough congested and mild fever if any and it went away in about 4 days max. I have been doing nothing but think about it for the past 3-4 weeks now I got tested 2 weeks after the fact and everything was negative they used the gen 4 test now I have what looks like mosquito bites under my arm feel just like a mosquito bite have a couple on my legs to but I was working in the grass today for a few hours so I'm guessing it's just bug bites not sure I guess my question is what should I look for in hiv rashes and am I ok with a 2 week test with updated technology?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was protected sex
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
You had a sexual encounter? Is that that the nature of your concern??
HIV is your worry??
Gen 4 testing is very reliable as it combines good antigen tests as well as antibody tests. As the reliability of the antigen portion if test declines the antibody test increases.It sounds that you are reliably negative!!
To this you say that you also has PROTECTED sex so that is all the better!!
The past cold cough and congestion symptoms do not sound to be suspicious for HIV disease. It sounds more of a very commonplace respiratory infection.
Also the mosquito bites sound like just that. I suspect nothing more sinister.
It sounds that you have really have no reason to worry.
It is possible to add certainty to testing by doing a PCR HIV test which is reliable beyond 11 days.I don't think that you need that however.
Your history of the protected sexual encounter plus your mild and nonspecific symptoms and your negative testing seem most adequate to assure you of NEGATIVE HIV status !!
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD