Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have red blotchy red blood spots under skin on mostly forearms.

Customer Question

I have red blotchy red blood spots under skin on mostly forearms. Just the slightest bump, scratching or pressure from my purse strap can cause these to pop up. If I hit my arm, within 30 seconds or so the blood spot appears.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
This is termed as Ecchymoses (bruise). This usually develop with or without noticeable trauma and do not spread into deeper tissues. This can occur due to the structural abnormalities of the small blood vessels called as capillaries, which break even with the slightest of the injury. This can occur due to the age, scurvy, steroid-induced purpura, small vessel vasculitis, and purpura associated with the presence of paraproteins. Aspirin may also be responsible which can increase the bleeding time. The diagnosis is based on the investigations. Though, with the possible exception of a prolonged bleeding time, screening tests are usually normal in patients with bleeding disorders related to vascular abnormalities (ecchymoses / bruising). Taking Vitamin C or eating citrus fruits or fresh juices may help.
The investigations done are;
1) platelet count,
2) bleeding time (BT),
3) prothrombin time (PT),
4) activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT),
5) thrombin time (TT)
6) peripheral blood smear,
7) platelet aggregation in response to ADP, epinephrine, collagen, and ristocetin;
8) platelet release assays,
9) coagulation factor assays,
10) assessment of factor XIII activity via clot solubility testing
11) Tests of fibrinolysis; measurement of fibrin split products and D-dimer levels.
Your PCP can get them done. An initial screening can be done by the first 5 or 6 tests which would give very definitive clue to the diagnosis.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.