Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My bilirubin is 1.8.

Customer Question

My bilirubin is 1.8. I do not have Gilbert's syndrome and do not have hepatitis. Where do I go from here?  I am waiting for an answer???

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

You would need following (if not already done);

1) Hepatitis profile
2) Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography (MRCP)
3) HIDA scan
4) Ultrasound and CT scan of abdomen.

These should be able to identify the raise in bilirubin levels.

Even a mild grade infection like stomach flu or any other virus sometimes may raise the level temporarily.

You need to stop alcohol if you drink. Also stop any medications, herbs, supplements, if you do.

Having said that, do not worry as;

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) Only a persistent increase of two fold for three months (tests repeated at monthly interval) will need further studies or invasive investigations like liver biopsy.

5) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.