Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I had a MRI of my shoulder.this is the report. Can you tell me what it means and my treatm

Customer Question

I had a MRI of my shoulder.this is the report. Can you tell me what it means and my treatment options and prognosis.
RIGHT SHOULDER MRI WITHOUT CONTRAST:
HISTORY: Right shoulder pain.
PROCEDURE: Axial, oblique sagittal, and oblique coronal fat saturated FSE T2, axial gradient echo and oblique sagittal and coronal T1 images were obtained.
FINDINGS: There is moderate acromioclavicular joint degenerative change with bone marrow edema as well as hypertrophic changes including small downward pointing osteophytes. The fat plane between the acromioclavicular joint and the supraspinatus musculotendinous junction is obliterated, and there is an impression upon the supraspinatus tendon, consistent with a clinical diagnosis of impingement. There is a moderate amount of fluid in the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa.
The supraspinatus tendon demonstrates moderate diffuse tendinopathy. There is a minimal partial thickness bursal surface tear involving the anterior aspect of the tendon. Th
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
The MRI shows following;
1) Degenerative arthritis which is wear and tear joint changes.
2) Impingement which means the tendons are pressed by the collar bone and scapula joint which forms the shoulder girdle with the shoulder joint.
3) Bursitis which is inflammation of the bursa. Bursa are soft tissue structures which makes a cushion or shock absorber to facilitate the smooth movements of the tendons.
4) Tendinopathy is tendon inflammation.
5) A partial tear can occur due to chronic injury or a sudden acute injury. Former is far common.
The prognosis is good. Healing is a rule here, not exception. But people may respond differently so duration of healing may vary and can take 6-12 weeks.
Treatment is following;
Majority of people with above problems will respond to physical therapy alone. The program should be aggressive, daily and assisted by the physical therapist. The regimen consists of active and active-assistive range-of-motion exercises combined with stretching. Pain may occur early but within six to eight weeks progress is usually made. Other treatment modalities such as heat and massage may help. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics may also be beneficial. Deep electrotherapy in the form of short wave diathermy, Interferential current, trans cutaneous electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, phonophoresis also are very helpful initially.
Those people who do not respond to the initial physical therapy are considered for the following;
1) A subacromial corticosteroid injection
2) A glenohumeral intra articular injection
3) Surgery; arthroscopic or open surgery is required only in 5-10% of patients.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.