Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

Its Healthcare Coverage Question: My wife has got

Customer Question

Hello:
Its Healthcare Coverage Question:
My wife has got a permanent job in Jan 2015 and her benefits kick in after 3 months of probation that is end April 2015. I am self employed and opened up a small business that i am trying to establish. We relocated here from Canada last year Sept 2014. We have 2 kids we all are covered by "Partnership Healthcare"
Should my wife individually take the coverage from her company as I guess there would be deductible from her pay check?
Should we all (3 other family member myself and 2 kids) get on her healthcare plan? it would be a higher deductible from her paycheck which we don't want to opt in now.
Do I have to call partnership healthcare and inform them and cancel our coverage as we do not want to get penalties?
If we all get covered by her plan we would end up paying higher deductible from her paycheck which we cant afford now and we are in the process of settling down.
Pls advise the best option.
thank you!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

the best option varies from person to person and depends on your finances and your family's willing to go with or without health care coverage.

you have partnership healthcare coverage in canada? are you paying for this or is this canadian nationalized healthcare coverage? will they cover you in USA?

you should call them up and let them know you are in USA and see if they cover or not. most likely they will not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Partnership Healthcare is coverage in California/ USA.

we have relocated from Canada and are fully covered.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, health care in the USA is a benefit usually from your employer but there is a deduction from her paycheck depending on the health plan she chooses.

she should have a meeting with human resources to find out how much her deduction is for an individual plan and for a family plan

it sounds like you already know the cost differences of a family health care plan in the USA which you say is too expensive for you budget right now

if you don't have a family plan, then if you and your children get sick you will have to travel back to canada to see a doctor which can be very inconvenient.

it would be good for your wife to get at least an individual health plan so that in the future, if she wants to expand that program to the family she can.

if you are planning on staying in the USA, I would recommend getting a family health plan to cover you and your kids here in the US as soon as you can afford it.

is partnership healthcare plan the plan your wife is considering for herself or the family at this point?