Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I'm Maddie and I have on my big toe nail a dark grey or yellow side that is lifti

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Maddie and I have on my big toe nail a dark grey or yellow side that is lifting away from the nail bed. It doesn't hurt and I didn't know if I should see a dr about it. I've had this for over 6 months. It showed up after I did a long bike ride. I'm vain enough to say it's ugly and I want to fix the problem.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
Following are the possibilities of the diagnosis;
1) A yeast / fungal infection. You may try an over the counter yeast cream.
2) In growing toe nail; an office procedure by doctor under local anesthesia (numbing medication) will get rid of it.
Occasionally this can be due to deficiency of Vitamin D, calcium or vitamin E. You may consider taking these supplements which are over the counter.
If you are diabetic or taking immunity reducing medications like steroid etc; you may consult a podiatrist or a general surgeon for treatment.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.