Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

At night I get weird feelings like electric shocks in my head

Customer Question

At night I get weird feelings like electric shocks in my head and I can't sleep. I start to sleep but after about an hour these little shocks happen about a minute or two apart. I have to get up and focus on so etching like TV or computer for an hour then they may go away.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How long has this been going on and can you more fully describe the shocks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably for about 2 years but they happen only about once a week maybe every two weeks. However they have become more frequent. Like it has happened every night for last three nights. It never happens during the day..only after to going to sleep they come on after an hour or two. They obviously wake me up. They only happen if I,try to go,back to sleep. hence I have to get up and do something to stop them.
They are hard to explain. It's not a pain but like a shock in my head. Lasts only a second tori two but quite intense. You can feel,it coming on ....it sort of builds up.Ta Mike
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Mike--and just to check--you haven't discussed this with a doctor before? And are you taking any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't discussed it with a doctor and no I am not taking any medication.About 8 years ago I had a bad back injury and wasn't on Tramadol. By mistake two doctors put me on them for too long. When I tried to come off them I had a similar occurrence. It has more acute then and I didn't sleep for close to a month coming off the drugs. Since then I have taken no medication and it was 8 years ago. As I said this has only started for last two years approx.About 15 years ago I had a brain injury...cracked skull and broken jaw. Swollen brain and they were going to operate but bought it down the swelling with medication. It was a similar feeling then...but less intense now and only
spasmodic at night. Was in hospital for a month but seem to have no side effects. Being the head it's starting to worry me.Ta Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I sit here now in the middle of the night I have been up for an hour and I can feel my head clearing. And know a bit longer I can go back to sleep and hopefully no more shocks. Though it will take another hour probably to clear my head.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. We can continue after this but I see two possibilities here.
One would be what's called hypnagogic sleep disorder. That can be treated with a temporary course of medications like Valium or Lunesta
The other possibility would be a variant migraine problem--like migraine headaches but with only the aura and not the headache itself
You'll need to see a doctor about this but in the meantime you could try valerian over the counter at bedtime