Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis, and I've had my cough

Customer Question

My doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis, and I've had my cough for 12 days - which I know is in the normal timeframe for having a cough. How long is the fatigue associated with it supposed to last?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Are you having productive cough? Wheezing? Shortness of breath? Any fever??
How bad is your sense of fatigue?
You have seen your doctor in recent days?
Did you have a chest xray?
What meds do you take? Placed on antibiotic? Prednisone? Singulair? Inhalers?? If so what ones do you use?
If the fatigue and shortness of breath are severe then you may need follow up...possible that you may benefit from an antibiotic if not yet placed on one ( could be viral-- bacterial -- or atypical such as Mycoplasma ) so situation and cause would effect best treatment for you...
Is cough waking you up at night? The more of this type symptom then more that you may benefit from follow up...
Further details as to your symptoms and current treatment would help me to discuss these options with you more..
Let me know what you can.I will be happy to get back with you! Best Regards ***** *****!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a productive cough (for about 12 days) and get out of breath with exertion and don't have a fever. As for my fatigue, it interferes with my workday and I find myself a lot more exhausted in the evening than usual. I was better in the last couple of days, but then my fatigue got worse again.
I saw my doctor 9 days ago, and he put me on a 5 day z-pack and gave me cough syrup. My cough got better with the antibiotics, but now it seemed to get worse after I was done taking them. I take Dulera for my asthma and also have a ventolin inhaler.
Hello again,
OK I see .. we would typically expect you to be much on the road of improvement 9days after starting an antibiotic( either viral would be subsiding or bacterial would be responding most typically by now) I think it atypical and of concern that you seem to have an INCREASE in certain symptoms since the initial feel of improvement.. certainly with asthma a respiratory ailment can prolong cough and other symptoms BUT still I think you would be best to have a follow up with your doctor at this point...
I think that you may benefit from A) alternate antibiotic such as Levaquin, B) Check out a chest xray and rule out further of infection such as development of pneumonia and C) sending you with sterile cup to collect sputum sample which may be tested for culture and antibiotic sensitivities.. that may help to identify if you may have a resistant bacterial infection as culprit..
I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions!
Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD