Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have CLL and having severe pain in my back. all test on

Customer Question

I have CLL and having severe pain in my back. all test on organs have come back normal. Recently had an LD Serum test with value of 402. I also hade a sedimentation rate of 54. I had a Steriod shot in the ER about 12 hrs earlier. Any idea on significance or problem? My white cell counts have not changed very much if test are taken several days after steroids are stopped. WBC are at about 30k
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how were the compression fracture and bulging disks detected? And what part of your body is the PET scan for?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--didn't mean to post that as an answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MRI were done for bulging disc lower lumbar and for compression fracture . compression fracture is about 2 years old from fall down stairs. PET scan is being done for back ect to see if it is related to CLL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although lumbar area is painful middle of back is unbearable. That is where compression fracture is. I feel pain around spine but ribs are very sore. No injury
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Which vertebra has the compression fracture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure but the questions are on the tests not vertebra and their signifficance
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just trying to get all the information.
To answer your question the PET scan would be to look more closely at the ribs and spinal column to see if there are any what are called osteolytic lesions in the bone--in essence, metastases from your CLL. Those are very rare but can occur, but in your case I don't think that's the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is on the blood tests which were and how they relate to the pain. What do they indicate with the values I provided? do the suggest the underlying issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have not been very clear I am taking oxycodone and thoughts not very coherent
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The elevated LDH could be from bone so that's why the PET scan is scheduled. But combining that with the elevated sed rate might indicate an autoimmune problem like ankylosing spondylitis. No problem if you need more information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not know what ankylosing spondylitis is. What is typical treatment
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's a specific type of autoimmune arthritis of the spine and physical therapy is the treatment for it. But I can't say that's what you have--just commenting on your pain and the lab values