Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have been getting a strange numbness in the tip of my tongue

Customer Question

I have been getting a strange numbness in the tip of my tongue off and on for about 3 months or so and I'm trying to figure out what could be causing it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
It is is medically called as glossodynia.
It is burning feeling and/or numbness on/of the tongue.
Its exact cause is not known. Following factors may cause this-
Dry mouth (xerostomia),nutritional deficiencies,nerve damage to nerves that control taste and pain in the tongue,changes in hormones or the immune system,psychological conditions such as anxiety or depression,infections of the mouth, caused by bacteria or fungus (thrush).
This can also be due to neuropathy-a complication of uncontrolled high blood pressure.
Treatment may include : A lozenge-type form of the anticonvulsant medication clonazepam (Klonopin), Low doses of benzodiazepine, antidepressant or anticonvulsant drugs, Supplements or diet changes for nutritional deficiencies,special oral rinses or mouth washes.
Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination.
So I advice for your daughter to make an appointment with your doctor to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.
I hope this helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than give us poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.