A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have been confined to a wheelchair the past 2 months recovering

Customer Question

I have been confined to a wheelchair the past 2 months recovering from constructive foot surgery. My under-breast rash has occurred during this period.
I wear loose cotton or cotton blend dresses, no bra, able to shower twice a week.
How/why did this rash occur and how should I deal with it?
Thank you, Judi
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Judi,
Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship. My name is***** and I will do whatever I can to help you.
When one layer of flesh lies upon another, there is sweat and friction, making a great environment for the growth of yeast, and then a secondary bacterial infection. Keeping the area clean and dry is key to eliminating the rash.
Even though you cannot completely bathe but twice a week, you can wash beneath the breasts and pat the area dry completely. A hair dryer on cool setting can complete the job. Then apply powder or corn starch. Usually it is best to wear clothing to reduce friction between the two areas. Just a plain handkerchief under the breasts can help. Change as often as necessary during the day to maintain dryness. Try to stay in air conditioning to reduce sweating.
Some people also get rash where the stomach overlies the groin and top of the thighs.
If the problem doesn't improve, your medical provider can prescribe more potent medications than you can buy over the counter.
Please let me know your questions and concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~