Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Milli, a bulging bump under my upper lip and left nostril

Customer Question

Hi Milli, a bulging bump under my upper lip and left nostril appeared two days ago. It's painful, and feels big...like an infected pimple, but know exposure... I've had something simililar a few times in my life, but smaller...this one feels like it's a 1/4" big, it's probably smaller, but feels substantial...
Category: Health
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it leaves me with a tingly sensation, annoying, bothersome, but not true pain or completely distracting.... it's located exactly on the underside/floor of the left nostril and is causing my lip to slightly protrude. It seemed a little smaller when i got up this morning (14 hours ago), but not meaningfully smaller, and perhaps, not at all. I am an in shape, guy, with my only health defects a low thyroid and high triglicerides.... when I was 26 i did suffer a swollen something, about 1" below my left eye (1 1/2" from this area, that was ultimately lanced and drained after swelling up for a week....I do have healthcare ins. and can contact my doctor.... and I'm wondering about the connection to stress, and what this could be....
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question,
I’mCustomerand I’ll try to help you.
It is likely due to an infection of hair follicle.
Damage to the hair follicles helps the bacteria or organism to enter deeper.
It is likely due to a bacterial infection.
It is unlikely due to stress.
Warm water compress can be helpful.
OTC neosporin antibiotic cream can be applied.
Please do not squeeze them.
It would spread the infection.
You can take antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin or naproxen, if there is no other contraindication.
In mild cases, those measures help to get rid of infection.
I would suggest to take an examination by your doctor.
Oral antibiotics can be needed.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know. I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.
Regards.