Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Have sores on arm that won't heal. Dermatologist put me doxycycline

Customer Question

have sores on arm that won't heal. Dermatologist put me doxycycline for ten days then precnicillon for 10 days as well as ointment and a sterile adiseptic wash. If it helps I also have a swelling feeling in arm (shoulder area bicep under arm) it feels swollen but keep feeling but no lumps
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
How long have you these sores?
Do they itch?
Have they spread?
DId they start as bumps?
You don't use hydrogen peroxide on them do you??
Any insect bites as far as you know??
Scratching or hydrogen peroxide will prevent healing...by the way...
Post picture to page if you can...
I like to use a dilute solution of Hibiclens( antibacterial soap similar to what surgeons use to scrub prior to surgery..available in pharmacy...) This may be similar to what you are using...
Are you taking antibiotic now or did you finish?
Did it improve some or not at all or getting worse despite treatment??
Let me know what you can. I will be happy to get back with you. So far if non healing despite treatment measures then you may need further follow up with dermatologist.
If bumps that itch intensely then you scratch this process could lead to non healing sores. Scabies could be a possibility with that type scenario.
If bacterial infection then it may benefit to get that cultured..You could have resistant bacteria such as MRSA...
I hope that this helps.Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you.
If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD