Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

Dear ***** I am a 42yr old male and when younger suffered

Customer Question

Dear *****
I am a 42yr old male and when younger suffered with eczema and allergies. This cleared up in my teens but came back when I was 21. For the last ten yrs it has been controlled by oral steroids 5mg daily. Recently I have had really bad flare ups on my face which I have never had before and my body is all red. I am panicking because 7yrs ago whilst living in Thailand I had unprotected sex once, but within 4hrs had been to the hospital and they gave me a 2wk course of Peps. Since then it has always been on my mind that I may have contracted hiv and now with these skin problems I am going crazy. I have never had any other associated symtoms though. I have been referred to a dermatologist by my doctor and also had a blood test which he said was normal. He said my white blood cells overall were normal but lymphocytes were fractionally low but he still considered them normal too. I haven't told him my fears because I'm terrified. I don't know if the woman I slept with was hiv+ I asked her and she said no. Am I worrying for nothing or would you say it's a possibility I may have hiv? I know the only way to know for sure is to get tested but after 7yrs with no symptoms would there be other signs?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
yes after 7 years, there would be other signs of HIV
you would have abnormal blood tests and other symptoms besides just eczema and allergies
you don't have HIV
you can get a blood test, but I would bet you money that your HIV test is negative.
let me know if you have other questions.