Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I wanted to ask whether abdominal pain could be a sign of an

Customer Question

I wanted to ask whether abdominal pain could be a sign of an airborne allergy in child.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Abdominal pain may be a sign of an allergic reaction, but it is more likely a sign of a food allergy rather than an airborne allergy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This question is for an allergist, preferable paediatric.My son started having abdominal pain and urge to urinate (but not peeing much), just wants to go when he just went,/ This started about 1 month ago. At the same time how started having sudden bursts of clear nasal discharge once/twice a day. Now his eyes are itchy and one is puffy. No green discharge. Urine is normal, abdominal xray as well. Excluded dairy and gluten completely. Still having the same symptoms.
What can be causing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be a reaction to chlorine in swimming pool (we go once a week), mold in the house (may be hidden somewhere, although it's only 10 years old)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is is safe to give him kids claritine to see if symptoms improve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This started in april when we still had snow in Canada, no pollen.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Has he had a urethrogram? Has he had a sinus endoscopy? What treatment has been tried so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, in Canada they dont like to be too invasive. So far only ultrasound and abdominal Xray which showed constipation (which I am not sure about because he is having normal BMs a couple of times a day). We are scheduled for blood work on friday, and I was referred to gastroenterologist. Since this all will take time I am trying to get some ideas myself of what could this be potentially. Actually he had similar symptoms last year in August and they resolved in a month or so. Could you please give me some ideas of potential causes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Treatments: gluten and dairy withdrawal, anti-gas medication, cranberry juice. He is only 5...
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Okay, claritin may be a good option, the nasal symptoms may be from allergies, but the urinary symptoms are not likely allergies, he may have some reflux causing the urinary symptoms, which is why he needs an ultrasound and maybe a urethrogram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is that he gets the urination symptom only sometimes, especially when he is congested. It is bad for a day or two and then fine for a week, and then starts again... I am so puzzled. Could it be from gluten? Do you know how long it would take to see improvement on gluten free if this is caused by gluten? Do you think all the symptoms are consistent with gluten intollerance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please explain what can urethrogram show?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
His symptoms could be from gluten, but to confirm that you would need to have him tested. A urethrogram would help determine if he has reflux causing his urinary symptoms, or any abnormality in his urinary tract
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, do you think that this could also be releated to growing? He's grown a lot in a short time. IF yes then how is it related.Thank you. If you have any ideas of other potential causes of this combination of symptoms, could you please list them.Thank you,
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
This is not likely from growing, I do not think there are other causes