Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Watery stool 10 times already today no fever but I am concerned

Customer Question

watery stool 10 times already today
no fever but I am concerned of dehydration. i really don't want to go beacuse i am on a business trip put of town. i think it was bad food
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
Usually this is viral gastroenteritis or food poisoning. If you are able to take orally and do not have nausea and vomiting; you may be able to avoid intravenous fluids and prevent dehydration. The initial management is as following;
1) PeptoBismol
2) Lomotil; if the diarrhea is vigorous.
3) Gatorade / Pedialyte
4) Plenty of fluids
5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.
6) Probiotics
The primary aim is prevention of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. If the diarrhea loss of fluids is too much or you are unable to drink enough liquids; you may need antibiotics and / or intravenous fluids. In that case you may need to got to ER. If your are able to take your pulse that would give a fair idea of dehydration. An high pulse more than 1o0 indicate significant fluid loss. Also if you are feeling too thirsty, that too would be indicative of moderate to severe dehydration.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
How are you? Hope you are doing better.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.