Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I took premarin years after a total hysterectomy. I

Customer Question

I took premarin for 10 years after a total hysterectomy. I loved it!!!! Skin tight, great hair, no mood swings, basically did not age! However, my doctor said it is dangerous and recommended hormone replacement. I have spent 1000's of dollars and countless hours on blood draws, refills, doc visits etc… It is crazy. I have gained 24 lbs (with same diet and exercise) losing my hair, gaining weight around mid section like post menopausal woman etc.. Hate it… want to go back to Premarin but scared to because of all that is being written and said about it .My grandma passed in June at the age of 93 still taking Premarin. What do I do???
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
What is your age?
Do you have any family history of cancers?
It seems that you are offline so I am writing you the answer. Once you are online, you may ask follow up questions, if any.
Premarin (is a synthetic estrogen hormone used as a hormonal replacement therapy / HRT) provide valuable therapy for many women but may pose serious risks. The overriding maxim is; Premarin should be used at the lowest dosages and for the shortest duration necessary to achieve symptomatic relief. The most common reason for taking hormone therapy is to treat bothersome menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes or vaginal dryness. Your doctor may consider a small duration course of premarin, again (with a history of GrandMa having no issue due to it). But continuing it for long duration is not advocated at this point of time. The risks are (as you already know);
1) Breast cancer: slightly increased risk for breast cancer after at least 5 years of continuous use.
2) Thromboembolism (Blood clots)
3) Biliary / liver pathology
4) Heart disease
You may not use Premarin if you have;
A history or family history of breast cancer
Porphyria
Severe active liver disease
Hypertriglyceridemia
Thromboembolic disorders.
Coronary heart disease (CAD)
Plant-derived estrogens are considered as natural and safer alternative to hormones. Phytoestrogens are found in many foods, including soybeans, chickpeas, lentils, flaxseed, lentils, grains, fruits, vegetables, and red clover. Isoflavone supplements, a type of phytoestrogen, can be purchased in health food stores.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
This is an informed risk which you can discuss with your doctor. On one side there are significant symptoms which are affecting quality of your life and on another hand there are risks or breast cancer, heart disease, stroke etc. While with your family history; the risk is lowered and with a meticulous health check ups in future, you can further lower the hazard by the early detection of any change in the body; but risk cannot be completely eliminated. So you may discuss all these with your doctor and collectively you may arrive on a decision.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.
It is privilege assisting you.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.