Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

I need some information.4 years ago I was having

Customer Question

I need some information.
4 years ago I was having some chronic health issues. I fell in the hospital because I was very week and my IV pole got stuck on a door jamb .
This caused a bulging disk and two tears at L3.
My back would just give out on me and cause severe pain. After I healed a little I enrolled in some classes out of town that resulted in a*****
My physician prescribed me SOMA and it really did not cause any side effects ( other than possible insomnia)
At the time I was also experiencing some chronic problems such as insomnia and joint pain due to exposure to Lyme Disease in the 1990"s.
I had been prescribed 10mg of Valium per night but it did not really help. My physician wanted me to keep it in my system just in case it helped a little bit,
I was advised not to mix it with the SOMA as it may cause negative side effects and or overdose so I made really sure I did not do that.
Prior to going on my trip each month I would stop the Valium 5 days before leaving and switch to the SOMA.
I had been doing that for months with no problem.
On the last trip I planned as usual. In route my GPS popped off my windshield abruptly and alarmed me. I wove fairly deeply into the other lane when this happen which resulted in me getting pulled over.
I was asked to step out of the car and with my sore back I grabbed onto the car. The officer asked if I was ok and I said I had a bad back. He said , " Oh, do you take anything for that ? " I said, just SOMA.
After that it all went down hill. I did not know what I did wrong.
The officer who pulled me over was young so he was told to bring me to the hospital to get a blood test.
The results came back two years later. Valium was in my blood ( which I had not taken) so I was accused of mixing drugs. Anyway the case was appealed. My blood was apparently tested again 3 years after the arrest and I guess it quantified the amounts in my system which were higher than normal .
Based on the fact that my health was so chronic and that I could not tolerate certain medications ( always suffering the oddest and rarest side effects) my physician had me take a Genetic Test through 23 and Me.
Apparently I have a Genetic Polymorphism of the CYP219 enzyme .
My genetic type is CYP219*2.
From what I have read this polymorphism can interfere with the metabolism of both Valium and SOMA. (Carisprodal and Meprobamate ).
Would this explain why the Valium was still present and why there were higher amounts of SOMA in my blood?
I really need some info on this. My pharmacist said that if my physician had known he may have prescribed a different medication or decreased and spaced out the doses.
Would I be able to use this info in court?
Category: Health
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that legally the laws are not as forgiving with prescription or non-prescription drugs as they are with alcohol as there is zero tolerance for drugs.

If your doctor can testify that you do have the metabolic disorder then this could be a justification to the court for the charges against you. Proof of a valid medical condition unknown at the time would be a mitigating factor for the court finding you not guilty, but you need to get this evidence to your attorney and get your doctor to put a detailed report together and to testify.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I put in a search for a Toxicolgy Dr. Not an Attny.
My question was not a legal question and was not addressed at all , nor did the right kind of expert reply .
If I cannot get an answer to my question , I would like a refund.
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 1 year ago.
Hi
here is the answer to your question:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16338280
the above article discusses how variations in the phenotype of CYP219 will affect the metabolism and clearance of valium
Here is the reference for soma (carisoprodol):
https://www.pharmgkb.org/drug/PA448809
>Carisoprodol (SOMA) should be used with caution in patients with reduced CYP2C19 activity. Published studies indicate that patients who are poor CYP2C19 metabolizers have a 4-fold increase in exposure to carisoprodol and a 50% decreased exposure to meprobamate (a metabolite of carisoprodol) compared to normal CYP2C19 metabolizers.
I hope that this helped.
please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hi
How is this an incomplete answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted a toxicologist to explain to me in Their own words how and why the medications in my system were in higher amounts than normal and why Valium would still be in my system. How this might affect me.Especially with SOMA. From what I read what I have read Carisprodal is a Pro Drug and breaks down into something else.I want a professional opinion from a toxicologist about how this might affect me. Toxicologists explain these things in court,I have to appear in front of a jury. I just found out the amounts in my blood were fairly high despite the fact that I took the prescribed amount. I want a professional opinion about my situation. How would a Toxicologist would explain in their own words how the Genetic Polymorphism CYP219*2 is a Poor Metabolizer or perhaps completely inactive. If I came to you as a professional with the research articles above ( which I already found on my own) what would you say to me as a lay person and how this might be explained in court .
Well there is no toxicologist on this site. I am the closest you will get- an ER doctor with specialty training in drug testing. Is that sufficient? But you will not be able to supply this to a court- because it is for layman purposes only. If you need official documentation and someone to be an expert witness for you, you will need to hire a forensic toxicologist. I can help you find one. LMK how you want to proceed