Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My Son who is 22 has a red and itchy inflammation that is been

Customer Question

My Son who is 22 has a red and itchy inflammation that is been bothering him on his hands. He says that after doing dishes last night and this morning his hands are raw and chapped. He is living away at college and says his roommate is experiencing the same symptoms.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms, this is likely to be allergy to the dish washing solution or can be a form of dermatitis. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can ask him to use OTC tab claritin once daily and to apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream twice daily. He can do this for 3 days and if it helps, he can continue for a week but if symptoms persist, he should see his doctor but hopefully this will not be required. His room mate can also do the same. I wish both of them good luck and that they get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of his hand. The dishsoap he used is Palmolive. What should he use instead to wash dishes and is his reaction to this soap common
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input and the picture.Yes this sounds like allergy. He can use any other soap or solution but not this one which possibly can be the cause of this reaction. No these reactions are not common. It might be an expired soap. Irrespective of the possible cause, ask him to start following my suggestions and hopefully he will feel better. My best wishes and prayers will follow him. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards