Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

On Thursday night after running, I noticed that, every so often,

Customer Question

On Thursday night after running, I noticed that, every so often, I'd get a sharp pain in the lower middle of my chest. It would last for about one second, then go away. I slept through the night, then awoke Friday morning and, just like the night before, the pain would come and go randomly. I could not do anything to duplicate it. Even pushing on the lower middle bone of the chest and upper abdomen did nothing. I am not dizzy, no fever, no nausea, no throwing up, and no diharrea. My PA ruled out the heart because I just had a stress test, EKG, and bloodwork done a month ago. Well, the random pain went away early Saturday and now I have a soreness in that middle lower area but only when I touch it. It is right at the end of the chest middle bone, lower part...right at the end.
Any idea what this could be? Thanks in advance.
-Brent
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, You had a normal EKG. Also you canexercise normally without problem. And above all, at your age, heart disease is not common. So, this is not likely heart related. You do not have any shortness of breath, cough, fever. So not lung infection or blood clot. Hence, this is likely costochondritis. This means inflammation of the rib attachment to the sternum. That will cause pain with pressure. This also gets worse with physicval activities requiring stretching of the chest.You can try Over the counter Aleve tablets 2 tabs every 12 hours. Also warm compress will help. Try to limit chest based physical activities like lifting or stretching. You can also consider a chiropractor therapy. Steroid injection at the joint is another good option if symptoms do not improve by a week. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/