Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Dr Arun I have been shopping with my daughter today and

Customer Question

Hi Dr Arun I have been shopping with my daughter today and when I was sorting through some clothes in a shop, they had their labels pinned on with sharp pins, and I pricked my finger, If someone had done the same before me and had HIV could I be infected with HIV and is this the same as a needle stick injury? I worked in dentistry over 20 years ago and I worked with blood and needles and we would get inured on needles, but I have had my daughter since then do you think they would have found out then if I had been infected, I have also had Breast Cancer since then too.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, There is no risk of HIV transmission in this manner. First of all, there is no fresh blood. Secondly, the amount of blood is so small not enugh to cause infection. Do not worry. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 1 year ago.
HiI am one of the HIV experts on this site. This is not really the same as a needle stuck injury because they are hollow needles- this is a solid needle. And the stick needs to be fresh- like through flesh and then into yours. The virus would dry up within minutes of exposure to air. The chance of you getting HIV av from this is pretty much zero. I hope this helped. Please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)
As well they test you for HIV when you are pregnant. They would have picked it up then
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, This is Dr Basu.There is no risk of HIV transmission. Do not worry. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter was born 17 years ago did they test for HIV then?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
No that time HIV testing was not prevalent.So she was not likely tested that time.
Actually yes they did. They have been testing since the 90s
I have a child who is 16 and I was tested and so we're all of my friends who had kids at least as old as that
I have had 15 years experience in taking care of patients with HIV related conditions and emergencies. Further if you had HIV that long, you'd have symptoms of AIDS by now- or be deceased!Did I provide you with excellent service? :-)