Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Mel,I am a difficult case to solve. I am trying to figure out if I eit

Customer Question

Mel,
I am a difficult case to solve. I am trying to figure out if I either have an off-the-beaten path undiagnosed condition or an underlying condition that ties all of my known ailments together.
I am a 46 year old female who has had to retire from teaching due to my vast number of medical conditions and the associated pain. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease of the neck and back, graves disease that has been treated with radioactive iodine ( 18 years ago) so I am now hypothyroid and cannot get that under control, chronic Lyme disease, and possible adrenal gland failure. HELP!!! I have been having hot spots on top of my right foot for a week, I'm tasting metal in my mouth every so often , for three days my heart has been racing and skipping beats uncontrollably, ( it especially does this for several days around ovulation each month ), my foot hurts as in bunion pain but my "bunion" isn't significant, I'm sweating constantly, moody, and hurting. Help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to the site!
My name is***** will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.
I'm sorry to hear about all of your ailments
What medication are you on now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Brims,
Thank you for helping me. I truly pray you can!
I only take naturethroid. ( I spent 15 years on synthroid only to feel much, much worse. I found out recently that I should have been given T3 as well, since Synthroid doesn't have it. My former doctor, who is supposedly an Endocrinologist as well, never explained that to me or prescribed the T3. ) Regarding naturethroid, I take one and a half grains in the morning and one and a half grains in the afternoon. I still have leg cramps and tightening, as well as some Charlie horses. I have all of the symptoms of an untreated thyroid condition. It has been theorized that my adrenal glands aren't working properly and are therefore blocking the thyroid meds. Your thoughts? It has also been theorized that I have chronic Lyme disease ( tested positive for it three years ago but it hasn't been caught for many years), as well as Lyme co-infections. I took a course of doxycycline to no avail. That was there years ago. I am extremely intolerant to medicines. I've never been able to take fibromyalgia relief meds such as cymbalta. When I tried it, my heart raced for hours and I threw up for several hours. I am very, very sensitive to medicines. I do take Motrin for pain as needed, but try to limit it because I think it irritates my bladder. Everything seems to irritate my bladder. I have a prescription for Elmiron to try to help the bladder. This is new and I haven't started it yet. I am overwhelmed with entirely too many ailments in every part of my body. I really believe I've fallen through the cracks medically did years. Doctors have looked for easy ten minute answers and want to hand me pills and send me on my way. Not working!! My life is shutting down and I feel like an 85 year old woman. I lost my teaching career and I'm medically retired. I have a Master's Degree in Education and I've been reduced to sitting in my home and struggling to do simple daily tasks. I don't sleep well, my wrists give out, my neck and back are weak and the list goes on and on. HELP!!!
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
If you have hypothyroidism why aren't you on any medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wrote to you about 20 minutes ago and explained that I'm on Naturethroid. That IS my thyroid medication. I'm confused now. Were you unaware that Naturethroid treats hypothyroidism?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, I did not recognize the spelling, it is usually spelled Nature- throid. Have you ever had an EKG since your heart started racing? Do you have any anxiety disorder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Brims,
I'm sorry but I have the distinct impression that you can't help me. Is there another doctor available who can answer my question? I need someone who can take into account all of my ailments, which I have described in detail, and be able to recognize possible underlying disease(s) or a "common thread" that could explain all of my illnesses. I'm looking for possible conditions that aren't as obvious, but could be exactly what I'm dealing with. I need a doctor who is not only familiar with the illnesses I have, but who can get to the bottom of them- the root cause. Someone who will perhaps think outside of the box.
You have only written a few sentences to me in total. You are only asking brief questions. You have asked what my meds are- and when I answered, you didn't recognize the name because of a hyphen!? Really? You asked if I've had an EKG and if I have an anxiety disorder. Well for heavens sake- anyone with THIS MANY AILMENTS AND IN THIS MUCH PAIN is going to have anxiety! The fact that you haven't presented a single idea yet as to any possible conditions tells me you don't know what is going on with me. My conditions must not be familiar to you.
Can you please ask another doctor to step in and dedicate time to an answer for me? Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
What did your immunological panel and serum calcium show?
You mentioned about possible adrenal failure; were your adrenal function tests abnormal?