Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

what does a CT scan report mean when it says there is a mild

what does a CT scan report mean when it says there is a mild prominence of intrahepatic biliary radicles and biliary ductal dilatation with a distended gallbladder
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 months ago.

Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

Would you like me to tell you what it implies or what it means

Customer:

Both please

Dr. Brims :

It means the biliary tree and ducts are larger than normal, and the gall bladder is larger than normal

Dr. Brims :

This implies there is an obstruction within the biliary tree

Customer:

if this presented with fever and elevated crp and white cells, and my liver function tests were off what could it be from? Could it have been caused by an endoscopy I had done?

Customer:

Also is it related to upper pole kidney stone?

Dr. Brims :

It could be caused by an ERCP, but it is unlikely to be caused by an endoscopy

Dr. Brims :

It is not related to a kidney stone

Dr. Brims :

It could be due to a biliary stone

Dr. Brims :

gall stones

Customer:

I had an ultrasound done 5 months after the CT but fasted for two days before and it showed no abnormalities with liver. Does this mean the blockage is gone?

Dr. Brims :

It means the obstructions is likely gone

Dr. Brims :

obstruction*

Customer:

The gallbladder was normal in the ultrasound as well

Dr. Brims :

ok

Dr. Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

What are intrahepatic biliary radicles and having a prominence of them imply?

Dr. Brims :

They are small structures that produce bile in the liver

Dr. Brims :

Their prominence implies an obstruction

Customer:

Is it possible that the ultrasound didn't see as well as CT scan?

Dr. Brims :

Can you please clarify your question? I'm not exactly sure what you are asking

Customer:

Should this be looked into further? Is the CT scan more accurate then ultrasound?

Dr. Brims :

The CT scan is more accurate, but the accuracy depends on what they were focused on in the test, if the ultrasound was for your gall bladder, then it is more accurate

Customer:

And it seems so odd to be sick feeling with night sweats and so many stones ad age 40

Customer:

Nothing was a main focus. Just looking to figure out the symptoms and pain.

Dr. Brims :

Okay, then the CT scan is more accurate if the ultrasound wasn't focused on the gall bladder

Dr. Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask or need clarified on this topic?

Customer:

No I think that's it. Thank you

Dr. Brims :

You're quite welcome

If you have questions in the future, you may request me

Just start with "Dr Brims" and I will answer

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end this chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience