Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have dupuytrens contracture. I have had needle aponeurotomy

I have dupuytrens contracture. I have had needle aponeurotomy several times on my pinky fingers.during my last visit to a hand surgeon, he injected 5 shots of cortisone into the nodules of each finger. Now these fingers are bent at the knuckle and will not extend straight down. is there anything I can do?
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

At this point, taking corticosteroid injections is not likely to be helpful. I say this because you have already taken a lot of steroid shots without much help.

You may need a surgical procedure known as fasciectomy. Here, the fascia around the tendons and the palm is cut open slightly to allow movement of the tendon and get rid of the contracture. However, you need to discuss this with the hand surgeon, if helpful for you.
Please get back to your hand surgeon again.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know all about the procedures. my question was if the cortisone could have caused the permanent stiffness of both fingers

Hi Bernie. I did not know you meant that. The answer to this is "no". The steroid injection has not caused the bending of your fingers. The disease itself is progressive and resullted in such a deformity.

Hello Bernie.

Please remove the "poor service' as this reflects badly on me. If you have any more qustion, I would be glad to answer. If you give me a positive rating, the negative rating will nullify.

Thanks,
Dr. Bora.
Thanks for the positive rating, Bernie.

Keep me updated on your heath status and if you need any assistance, please request me as DR. BORA ONLY in the opening statement of the question.