Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I got a very bad head cold about five weeks ago and recovered

I got a very bad head cold about five weeks ago and recovered fine with over the counter medicine. All that was left was a clogged ear and a sore throat with swollen tonsils however even after my ear unclogged my throat has been increasingly sore, to the point that swallowing is difficult, with visible swelling on the left side,pain in my inner ear, and general mouth soreness as well. I'm fairly certain it isn't strep, I've had it previously and this completely different. Is this just a case of tonsillitis that will clear up or do I need to get it checked out?
Hi--two points here--this could be strep even so and without antibiotics you are at risk for developing rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease if it is. This also could be mononucleosis--the so-called kissing disease--and that's a virus that has to run it's course and and take two months or longer to resolve. My advice is that you need to see a doctor for this