Ask Your Health Question and Get an Answer ASAP
Kind of you. If I may this is example of what I have been doing. If old pen had say 10 units and I needed 50, I would get 40 from new pen and then use that needle ('down stream', so to say) on older pen and then toss. I did not see any possibility of corruption if my own needle (I do not have hep/HIV/infectious issues; if at issue). Now (if you dont mind) a way to reuse a needle more than once for that pen (I can do alcohol on clean swab for ten minutes and then place in clean bandage container, but cant get alcohol IN side needle if that is issue). Now that would be a way to get 2 boxes out of one (I dont think using more than twice should be done, even if sterile. I would be happy with double use/savings). Is that OK, or is not getting alcohol inside needle an issue? My insurance will not pay the $54 per box saying they are luxury. Because of arthritis and neuropathy I cannot hold vial and do needle so have to do the Lantus route. I drop this on floor as is. If you dont feel comfortable with this follow up I understand, or you can place in private?? Thank you Doctor for helping. Means alot.
Spoke with the Endocrinologist (A1C 4.9). Wish I had asked boxes ago:
1. After using the cap (needle) place in clean pill bottle with alcohol to cover it more than twice, or so.
1a. Shake gently container to get alcohol into underside of cap and moving air out.
2. The next use take out using clean Qtip and shake excess alcohol away. Let dry a minute, or so.
3. Do not touch needle to anything (including fingers).
4. Wipe barrel head with alcohol.
5. Attache cap to barrel.
6. Measure one unit of Insulin and squirt out clearing the needle.
7. After appropriate dosage, remove cap and place back in container with alcohol for
8. Go through same procedure UNTIL it hurts after inserting, or more bleeding from
opening than usual. Time to discard this cap.
9. Empty old alcohol (as long as it is wet, it is useable and effective) and restart.
Is this a plan? Thank you.