Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi, I have a lesion on my uvula, probably caused by a viral

I have a lesion on my uvula, probably caused by a viral infection according to my oral surgeon. I have scheduled to have it removed tomorrow. The surgeon recommended general anesthesia to prevent the gag reflex, however my insurance, Medicare, won't pay for "sedation", and I'm on a pretty small budget. Is this type of anesthesia a luxury, or do think it's really necessary? If it helps, the lesion is about half a centimeter.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

The general anesthesia for a uvula lesion is absolute necessary. The surgery can't be performed without it. Apart from preventing the gag reflex, the area is quite vascular and thus blood can trickle down. A general anesthesia prevents it and also helps the surgeon to control the bleeding point meticulously manipulating the cautery and other instruments easily during the anesthesia.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.