Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

What do you call a person that cant make decisions for themselves

What do you call a person that can't make decisions for themselves or are mentally slowing down so their capacity to choose or negotiate their wishes is done by their family.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 months ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello what is the age of the person?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

what is the age of the person?

Customer:

I already stated the age of 78

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok, so the question is for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

such a person is said to have senile dementia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

senile dementia can occur due to many causes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

advancing age is the commonest reason

Customer:

there is another word... the person is not yet with dementia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

alzheimer's disease is also a common cause

Dr. P. Jyoti :

senility

Customer:

for example, a Chinese family has the mother that never learned English so their cultural background does not allow them to infiltrate so

Customer:

that is why they can't comprehend... They depend on their sons and daughters to translate.... SO they may never know what everyone is sayig? but there is more confusion than dementia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok, but that is not a medical problem in that case

Customer:

or a topic is too complex and over their head or educational level to comprehend

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a medical term would not fit it

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it can be called cognitive disorder

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cognitive means understanding something

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cognitive disorder means not being able to understand something for any reason

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it relates mainly to medical causes though

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a person not being able to understand because of language problems is not a typical medical problem but rather a social one

Dr. P. Jyoti :

still it could be termed cognitive disorder if the person is also having confusion

Customer:

in my case it is the woman being sheltered her whole life so that there has been no practice to learn of the world around her.

Customer:

So the person is kind of disenfranchised and ignorant?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the term 'impaired cognition' would fit her in that case

Dr. P. Jyoti :

impaired cognition would be the term you are looking for

Customer:

That inability to comprehend because of cultural or economic barrier makes the person mentally frustrated and socially inept

Customer:

ok,,, that sounds closer.. thanks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Impaired cognition fits your description

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Customer:

if you come to think of another one, send it to me...like learned helplessness or extreme shyness and incapacity to sustain oneself to the point of needing an advocate

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will send it to this thread

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.