I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
The symptom your describe is likely to be muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch. Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter / contractions may need following investigations;
1) electromyography (EMG)
2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)
3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc
4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests
5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile
The common causes can be;
1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.
2) Increased caffeine intake
3) Increased alcohol intake
5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals
6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon.
Following may help you;
a) Stretching exercises.
b) Coconut water.
c) Gatorade / sports drinks.
d) Avoiding cola drinks (if you do).
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.