Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a cold blockef ears, when i blow my nose plegm comes

I have a cold blockef ears, when i blow my nose plegm comes out of my right eye. My urine has been hurting and gave had a very heavy period where i bled through 2 pads and . Ismy trousers. I ws diagnosed with epilepsy last dec , i am on lamotrigine, i seem to be bruising very easily. Feel very tired but not sleeping well.

Hello Jade,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are blocked ears and urination issue?
You mentioned about the phlegm coming from right eye; could you please explain more about it?
Do you have known allergies?

Any fever, headache?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ten days of blocked ears

urianation a few weeks?

comes out if the corner of my right eye when i blow my nose

a mild fever

Hello Jade,

Your symptoms are suggestive of rhinitis (nose inflammation), sinusitis (sinus inflammation) with dacrocystitis (lacrimal gland inflammation). All of these structures are anatomically and physiologically / functionally related. A coronal CT of the sinuses and/or fiberoptic nasal endoscopy is diagnostic for it. Some physician may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

You may also be looked for GERD, which has increasingly been implicated in causing or exacerbating chronic sinusitis. The exact relationships and mechanisms are presently a matter of speculation, though.

Consulting an ENT (ear, nose throat) specialist would be prudent. Please read about dacrocystitis;

You should also get a urine culture test done as urinary symptoms can be due to urinary tract infection (UTI). This also may need a course of antibiotics. Following measures would help;

1) Plenty of fluids.

2) Cranberry juice

3) Pyridium which is over the counter which is urinary analgesic.

An heavy period if recurs would need ascertainment of the cause. It is investigated by an ultrasound and blood investigations. Following can be the causes;

1) Fibroid uterus

2) Uterine polyp

3) Endocervical polyp

4) Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism

5) Prolactin abnormalities

6) Endometrial hyperplasia

7) Other hormonal aberrations

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.