Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

We have had a few difficulties this evening, starting approximately

We have had a few difficulties this evening, starting approximately 7pm, with my 94yr old mother. She does have a certain amount of dementia, based on her age. Normally, she resides with my brother, and stays with us occasionally. Previous visit (approx. 1 month ago), she had a bad cold and diarrhea. Now during this visit, she has a very upset stomach and has had dry heaves for the past 3 hrs, approx. every 10 mins. We don't attribute this to the foods we ate as the rest of the family ate the same food for our meals. Not severe, as she is very coherent, but she doesn't seem to be able to break the cycle. When she dry heaves, it's a minimal amount of saliva, nothing else brought up. Our concern is when to have her seen or is there something at home to stop the nausea/cycle. Thank you.

Hello Eric,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your description does not indicate an emergency at this point of time. So you may try following;

1) Dramamine less drowsy or Dramamine.
2) PeptoBismol.

Both of them are over the counter. If the symptoms does not resolve or increase or if she has following signs or symptoms, she may need to be seen by a doctor;

1) Moderate to severe abdominal pain.
2) Tenderness in abdomen.
3) Pulse more than 100 per minute.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr. Arun, if she is not able to hold down the PeptoBismol or Dramamine, would you kindly advise what next steps we may take? FYI, no severe abdominal pain or racing heart beat at this time. Thank you.

You are welcome, Eric,

Usually both of these have anti emetic (ant nausea and vomiting) actions too, so chance of tolerating them is very high. Dramamine need to be given with just a sip of water or two.

It is privilege assisting you.