Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

for dr. chip: i believe my acid reflux is acting up as ive

for dr. chip: i believe my acid reflux is acting up as ive had chest pain that fells defeintly like heartburn pain for the last 6 days. i take 2 zantac 75 a day but that doesnt seem to help too much. any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Hi--has this been constant for these six days? Is the Zantac all you've ever used for this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

its fairly constant. sometimes i feel it in my upper abdomin. it was really the bad the first few days, but has kinda got a little better. it the past ive taken dexilant which was an amazing drug, but it gave the unfortunate side affect of diahreha. prevacid is similar and does the same thing. so im taking zantac.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Mike--sorry if we've gone over this before, but have you had upper endoscopy and a screen for H pylori?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes i have. back in march was the upper endo and i was tested for H pylori last year.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
OK--is this different from your usual reflux episodes?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

honestly yes. this is mainly in my chest and i can sometimes feel it has high as my collarbone. stomach pain isnt happening at all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Do simple antacids help with this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ive only taken zantac. i just switched to prilosec after dinner to try something else and as of now, im not in too much discomfort. its mainly in the morning and when im getting hungry when the pain is the worst

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
OK--while Zantac is usually effective, in your case the Prilosec would be a better choice and you need it twice a day for a while and it may take another day or two to get the full effect. If push comes to shove, you could consider either Nexium or Protonix
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i have to ask, is prilosec different than dexilant/prevacid? as you know, i have a sensitive stomach as it is.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
They're first cousins but sometimes once cousin works fine and the other causes problems.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice