A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Hello! My husband is 42 years old and has his first seizure

My husband is 42 years old and has his first seizure in January. He had 4 earlier in the year, was placed on 3000 mg Keppra daily. In the past month he has had 3 more seizures. After every seizure, he throws up and this seizure seems to occur within the hour of eating. What can we do to see if he has a food allergy which may be one of the causes of the seizures?

Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship. My name isXXXXX and I will do help you. I really appreciate your requesting me for this question.

There is little you can do on your own to test for allergies. The most useful thing would be to keep a food/beverage diary. However, it could take weeks to months for an association with a specific food to become apparent. He should also indicate at each meal how he is feeling otherwise. Sometimes extreme stress and other things can trigger seizures.

The neurologist who is treating your husband may want to refer him to an allergist/immunologist. This would be a lot faster and a lot safer, since your husband would be in the office for a time after each bank of allergens was administered, so that he could receive immediate medical treatment if an allergen should trigger a seizure.

Diagnosing the cause of seizures can become quite complicated. It appears that serious things like brain tumors and stroke have been ruled out by the tests he has already had and that is excellent news. Now it's just a matter of hanging in for the long haul as more obscure causes are investigated.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,