Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Im 59 years-old and have worked in the healthcare field most

I'm 59 years-old and have worked in the healthcare field most of my career. I have recently found that I can't look at a wound (it's not the blood that bothers me.) without getting light-headed. My legs sometimes feel funny and I have to turn away. I have x-rayed some pretty horrendous injuries during my career, and I am just now experiencing this issue. Is this Vaso Vagal Syn? I haven't ever fainted, but I don't know what would happen if I didn't turn away.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Yes,the symptoms of being light headed after seeing a wound is most likely because of vaso vagal syndrome/syncope.

Many types of emotional and physical stressors can stimulate the vagus nerve to do damage.

The vasovagal syncope trigger causes a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, which results in a brief loss of consciousness or light headedness or dizziness.

This anti-adrenaline effect decreases the ability of the heart to pump blood upward to the brain against gravity. Without blood flow, the brain turns off & you may get symptoms of dizziness or light headedness.

So you are right,the symptoms you have described of getting light-headed when you see a wound,is most probably because of vaso vagal syndrome.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr.Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why would this begin now? Is it unusual for this condition to occur later in life?

Dear customer,
I am happy to answer your follow up question

Vaso vagal syndrome usually occur early in life or when some one see the thing for the first time.

But this is not always the cause & it can happen at any stage of life depending on emotional factors & anti-adrenaline changes.Exact cause is not known till today.

It typically involves a precipitating event and a prodrome.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that your symptoms are most probably due to Vaso vagal syndrome.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr.Charles