Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

The left side of my abdomen is slightly swollen. Area is soft

The left side of my abdomen is slightly swollen. Area is soft not painful or tender to touch . My GYN and PCP said it is nothing but I am still concerned. They will not order any tests.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did you notice it?

Is it in the lower part of abdomen?

Do you have any other symptom?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lucy,

I noticed you did not see the info request & went offline.

I am sending the answer so that you can see it when you come on line.

If you have any query after reading it, please ask.

Slight swelling may appear if there is a difference in muscle tone, distension of colon with gas.

Those can be soft in feeling.

As you do not feel any pain or tenderness & both the doctors could not find any mass or lump on palpation, there is unlikely to be any thing serious.

Still if you are worried, an ultrasound examination can be taken.

You can discuss it with your doctors.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied. I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

I hope to work with you again soon!

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I waited too long went to sleep so did not answer the questions Dr asked which he needed to make diagnosis
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Can you please tell me, exact location of pain.
Do you have burning urination/ chills?
Nausea?
Any problem with bowel movements?
Does it remain swollen throughout the day?
Any other health or medical problems

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swelling is mid abdomen 1-2 inch left of umbilicus . No pain no symptoms no problems with bowels or urine. Swelling for about 6 months or more. Have gluten allergy
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear, Thanks for all these additional details.
I am sorry to hear about your problems.

It could be a Umbilical Hernia. It occurs, when part of the bowel or fatty tissue pokes through an area near the belly button
It would result in soft bulge/swelling near the umbilicus.

Hernias in adults may arise as a result of the strain which raises the pressure in the abdomen, causing a weakness or tear in the abdominal wall.

Also sometimes it can lead to serious complications like- gangrene or peritonitis .
Your doctor will examine your belly button,and make a diagnose.

Other possibility is-
Distension of colon with gas. This would also cause feeling of swelling in abdomen.

You may need a clinical examination and a ultrasound of whole abdomen for precise diagnosis. CT scan or MRI can be taken if ultrasound is inconclusive.

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup, get tests done and get it managed.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years