Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Ive experience metrorrhagia on and off for almost 6 years

I've experience metrorrhagia on and off for almost 6 years now and no doctor has been able to find the cause of it. I have been on different birth control pills, off birth control, tested for STDs, and regular paps. What else could be wrong?
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

What tests have you have underwent so far?
Are you overweight?
Is there any other known medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had paps once a year since 2005 when I was diagnosed with HPV. There were abnormal cells on my cervix and I underwent cryotherapy and had my cervix scraped at least twice between 2005 and 2006. Had paps after that and all came back normal.

In 2008 I started to experience spotting and was made to change my birth control pills several times with temporary results. In 2012 I had an abnormal pap, so I underwent a colposcopy which came back normal.

Starting this year, I have been experiencing bleeding during intercourse. In April was diagnosed with cervicitis and prescribed antibiotics with no results. Also, was tested for STDs, including chlamydia, and they came back negative. In August, I returned to the doctor with the same symptoms and was tested again for cervicitis, which I did not have. No diagnose was given.

- I am not overweight. One may argue I have always been underweight

- No other known medical illnesses

Metorrhagia is uterine bleeding at irregular intervals, particularly between the expected menstrual periods.
It can have many causes like
Hormone imbalance- To rule out this possibility a base line hormone profile be done on third day of the cycle.(LH,FSH,Prolactin,Testosterone)

It may be due to pelvic inflammatory disease from chronic infection?undiagnosed.
Culture from high vaginal swabs may be done as well.

Frequent change in oral contraception may be a potential cause.

Also endometeriosis or adenomyosis may be associated and in some cases and may remain undiagnosed in routine scans especially in early cases.

Trans vaginal sonography especially with 4D TVS probe may be utilised as well in such cases for proper diagnosis.

I hope this helps
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.