Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I just had some blood work done

I just had some blood work done, and my doctor told me I have high cholestrol. Is there anything I need to do to manage it. She said I should get a letter in the mail, and to eat healthy and exercise and I have to come back in for a appointment in 3 months. I am trying to figure if this is why I would have this slight faint spells from time to time.  What kind of healthy food should I be eating, do I have to stop eating fast foods? How often should I exercise? I have a membership at a gym, but don't like it when my hair sweats out my relaxer and rinse. 

What if I am invited out to dinner at a restaurant what do I do in this case?  

Hi--your height and weight and do you know what your cholesterol numbers were?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 5'5 my weight is 165 and my cholesterol level is 246.

OK Tasha--give me an idea of what you eat now and have you ever tried to lose weight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as of now, I am unemployed so, yesterday I did go with friends to Bufflo wild wings and had 6 honey barabecue wings and a sprite. I do cook at home, but the day before yesterday I ordered a cheese stuff pizza from pizza hut. I also eat special k cereal, waffles for breakfast, or I will make grits and eggs for me and my daughter. For lunch we may eat a ham sandwich , I have been drinking pepsi from time to time. If my 2 year wants friench fries from mc donalds while we are at wal-mart I will get it for her and a chocolate chip frappe for me. I make red beans and rice and either fish or chicken for dinner. I love seafood, so sometimes I go get shrimp poor-boy. we both cholocate for a snack which are normally prenzel m& m's.-

What about veggies and fruits?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I eat strawberries and grapes time to time, corn on the cob,baked and fried chicken, fish, peas, cucumbers salad's every once in a while with Italian dressing. Bananas and apples every once in awhile, love cabbage, beans and rice with smoked sausage. Love seafood but mostly eat fried shrimp.

Sorry for the delay Tasha and we can continue after this if you'd like. You need a nutrient dense diet that consists of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruit, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and only three servings a day of lean meats, poultry, and fish. Definitely cut out the fast foods. I'd suggest you get this book

http://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/about.aspx

As for exercise, even a brisk 30-45 minute walk five times a week is more than enough for heath and to help with weight loss. If you can lose at least 15 pounds that should lower your cholesterol
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does that mean no beef, or sausage or pizza.

Meats are fine but no more than three servings per week. A pizza once a week or something else you'd really like is fine but really the only way to lose weight is to drastically change your diet.