Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I just had some blood work done

I just had some blood work done, and my doctor told me I have high cholestrol. Is there anything I need to do to manage it. She said I should get a letter in the mail, and to eat healthy and exercise and I have to come back in for a appointment in 3 months. I am trying to figure if this is why I would have this slight faint spells from time to time.  What kind of healthy food should I be eating, do I have to stop eating fast foods? How often should I exercise? I have a membership at a gym, but don't like it when my hair sweats out my relaxer and rinse. 

What if I am invited out to dinner at a restaurant what do I do in this case?  

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--your height and weight and do you know what your cholesterol numbers were?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am 5'5 my weight is 165 and my cholesterol level is 246.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Tasha--give me an idea of what you eat now and have you ever tried to lose weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as of now, I am unemployed so, yesterday I did go with friends to Bufflo wild wings and had 6 honey barabecue wings and a sprite. I do cook at home, but the day before yesterday I ordered a cheese stuff pizza from pizza hut. I also eat special k cereal, waffles for breakfast, or I will make grits and eggs for me and my daughter. For lunch we may eat a ham sandwich , I have been drinking pepsi from time to time. If my 2 year wants friench fries from mc donalds while we are at wal-mart I will get it for her and a chocolate chip frappe for me. I make red beans and rice and either fish or chicken for dinner. I love seafood, so sometimes I go get shrimp poor-boy. we both cholocate for a snack which are normally prenzel m& m's.-

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What about veggies and fruits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I eat strawberries and grapes time to time, corn on the cob,baked and fried chicken, fish, peas, cucumbers salad's every once in a while with Italian dressing. Bananas and apples every once in awhile, love cabbage, beans and rice with smoked sausage. Love seafood but mostly eat fried shrimp.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Tasha and we can continue after this if you'd like. You need a nutrient dense diet that consists of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruit, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and only three servings a day of lean meats, poultry, and fish. Definitely cut out the fast foods. I'd suggest you get this book

http://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/about.aspx

As for exercise, even a brisk 30-45 minute walk five times a week is more than enough for heath and to help with weight loss. If you can lose at least 15 pounds that should lower your cholesterol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does that mean no beef, or sausage or pizza.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Meats are fine but no more than three servings per week. A pizza once a week or something else you'd really like is fine but really the only way to lose weight is to drastically change your diet.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice