Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Hi, I have a mucoid cyst in my right maxillary gland. I was

Customer Question

Hi, I have a mucoid cyst in my right maxillary gland. I was told it is "large" but should be asymtomatic. I have had severe pain in my right sinus...so much pain that I feel it in my upper teeth on the right side and pressure behind my right eye as well as in my ear. I have pain along the right side of my nose up in my eyebrow area. I also suffer from migraines so I am not sure if this is migraine pain or the cyst. My neurologist believes the pain has to do with the cyst because of the size of it...however I went to an ENT...she said that it's NOT the cyst and gave me flonase...said to use it for a year??...This has not helped at all!! I recently had a sinus infection and while on antibiotics did not have an attack of the severe pain for THREE WEEKS!!! It was amazing!! I am now off the antibiotics...and the pain is back...what should I do...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 5 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, according to what you have been describing, what you could be experiencing is a case of chronic sinusitis.

In your case , if the pain has come back again, it is because the infectious process has not resolved and the bacteria is still there . You should contact the doctor who prescribed you the antibiotics, so he can give you a refill prescription so you can take the antibiotics for a longer period of time to kill the infection.

I would suggest you to consult other ENT specialist . In my opinion, probably the cyst or other anatomical problem like the presence of a polyp ( which is a benign mass ) or an internal nasal deviated septum is affecting you and making you more susceptible to develop sinuses inflammation and infections , and that is what is producing all the pain you have been feeling.

In this case , surgery will be necessary .

If they do not treat the underlying problem, you will continue experiencing these symptoms once and once again. Your doctor will also need to investigate other possibilities like : blood vessel inflammation or trigeminal nerve irritation.

In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids ,apply a warm towel on your face,sleep with your head slightly elevated, eat 2-3 cloves of raw garlic ( which is a natural antibiotic),get an humidifier (this helps to drain the fluids accumulated in the sinuses) and you should also drink a tea that you can prepare with ginger,honey and lemon.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your imput...it is much appreciated. My pcp was the one who put me on the antibiotics and said that I most likely have chronic sinusitis. What I don't understand is...I don't feel "stuffed up" and I can breathe out of my nose. Does this still sound like a sinus infection? Because when I was put on the doxycyclin (sp?) she said it was most likely chronic sinusitis...but again, I wasn't "stuffed up"...and can this really cause extruciating pain? Nothing touches the pain...I tried 3 motrin...nothing...I tried my migraine meds...nothing...I am just so sick and tired of the pain! :-(

Yes, even if you do not feel stuffed up and you are able to breathe out,it can still be chronic sinusitis . The symptoms will vary according to what specific sinus( or cavity is being affected).

With chronic sinusitis ( it is vital to determine and find out what underlying factor is involved ,to correct that problem), if there is an anatomic issue like a polyp or cyst that needs to be removed , if there is an autoimmune condition( in which the immune cells mistakenly attack your healthy body's cells producing constant inflammation) or if you are allergic to something and that is producing the sinusitis .

But it is important to treat that factor to have a successful treatment.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Hi Liz,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr. German
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi, it did thank you...I am having burning in my right nostral (the painful side) Just frustrating...I put a call into my pcp's office on Monday...still waiting to hear...I think I will follow-up again today with the office.

You should get an over the counter decongestant like Sudafed or Actifed and pain medication like acetaminophen or ibuprofen to alleviate your symptoms. If you are not able to see your doctor today , you should go to the emergency , a walk in clinic , there are also public health centers where you can receive attention ( in these centers , you will pay only what you can afford ).

Here is a link so you can find one of these centers :

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx