Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

flu & antibiotics

Hi, i have been having flu for 3 days now, mid headaches, blocked nose - runny nose, my right ear hurt and there is a pain in the bottom of my throat, i went to see a doctor and she told me i must have to take antibiotics i dont even have a fever and i didn't really see if its necessary to take antibiotics now i regret going to a doctor because after taking antibiotic 500mg i feel my head going to explode i can feel fever and head is burning, what should i do now. day 1 : i took volt-fast and Vitamin C + paracetamol and I've taken honey and ginger and green lemon. i felt some pain but i was fine. today i woke up and my throat started to hurt that is why i went to a doctor but i really regret it i feel worse, i would like to know what to do now ?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 8 months ago.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
Usually most of the upper respiratory tract infections are caused by viruses and antibiotics are not required.
In case of bacterial infection like Strep throat,symptoms like high fever,red and swollen tonsils, sometimes with white patches or streaks of pus are associated.

As per your description,possible differential diagnosis may include Sinusitis,Pharyngitis.
As you have earache so it suggests the referral pain from throat,ear infection.
You should make an appointment with your doctor or ENT specialist for a clinical exam.
In the meantime you should some self care measures like-
Drink warm liquids.
Do betadine oral gargles 2 times a day.
Take OTC Allegra and Sudafed.
Do steam inhalation 2 times a day.
Take OTC Advil instead of paracetamol.
Avoid fried food,spicy food.

Hope this helps.
Please press reply button if you have follow-up query.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thanks dear.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
am already taking Voltfast 50 mg (NSAID) + Panadol i like to take Advil but sometimes i get stomach pains so i avoid taking it. The Doctor gave me antibiotics for 3 days only. after 30 minutes of taking the midicine i felt some changes inside me, different pain spread all over my body specially my head is hurting alot. I know since i took my first 500mg i cant stop it today right?
is it possible to send you a picture of my mouth ? can you determin if i really needed the antibiotics ? am worried because this is the third day and today only after taking the antibiotics i felt worse.
Which antibiotic have you taken?
Have you completed 3 days course as per directed?
You should send your picture through paper clip icon in your toolbar of reply forum.
It's good to browse in Internet explorer or Mozilla firefox.
Otherwise you should send me the link through photobucket or mediafire.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear Dr. Nitika,

As i have mentioned i've been having flu for 3 days now, today the forth day i went to see the doctor because when i woke up i felt pain in my bottom throat. and my voice got weakend thats why i went to see a doctor but i was fine in a sence that i wasnt in a huge pain. so today (4th day) i met this doctor who prescribed for me

Zmax (Azithromycin) 250 MG

for only 3 days, after 30-45 minutes of taking 2 pills after my meal i started to feel huge pain all over my body my body is over heated and i as i told you i regret going to the doctor because didn't expect i would feel such pain.graphic

Sorry to say,picture is not so clear.
As per your picture,it suggests viral pharyngitis.
And as per your description of blocked nose,earache,it also suggests Sinusitis.
And usually it gets better in 7-10 days.
And azithromycin had no effect on viral infection.
However as your doctor has prescribed you antibiotic so he should firstly advise you throat culture and sensitivity test to determine the exact causative agent.
While azithromycin can work on strep, the first choice of drug is penicillin.
The culture and sensitivity test should have shown which antibiotics the infection was sensitive to and which ones would not work.
Most likely azithromycin hadn't given you relief.
And even your generalised bodyache,headache could be caused due to infection rather than azithromycin side effect.
In my opinion,you should consult an ENT specialist rather than visit your doctor again.

Hope this helps.
Thanks dear.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM