Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

I woke up with tingling and numbness in my thumb, index and

I woke up with tingling and numbness in my thumb, index and middle finger of my left hand. It has now been over 12 hrs and I see no improvement. I should add... I only sleep on my left side. Is it a pinched nerve? Help! It's driving me crazy!!!
Hello
I understand your concern.
IT sounds like you compressed the median nerve of your hand- this is what innervates the thumb, index and middle finger.
it can take a while for the sensation to come back if you slept on it quite soundly
IN the meantime, you can wear a volar wrist splint (buy this at any drug store) to keep your hand in position to optimize blood flow, etc.
If it is still numb by Tuesday, then you should see a doctor for evaluation and treatment... they may need to do a procedure to release the median nerve from being trapped if that is the case.

I hope that I provided you with excellent service.
Please leave positive feedback if I did
Use reply if you need clarification.
:-)