Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I have nearly all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Tests in

I have nearly all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Tests in the past have been negative. My exhaustion faded but muscle problems and hair loss have continued, and inability to regulate body temperature has returned with me being uncharacteristically very cold.

I have a new blood test that's been ordered. If it's positive, and I can start on a thyroid med, will my hair likely grow back? Honest answers only, please. :-)
Thanks for providing additional information.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
Well if your thyroid function test shows positive results for hypothyroidism then your doctor may definitely start medicines.
And it may be possible that your hair loss'll be improved.
However you should consult a dermatologist for a clinical examination to rule out other potential causes of your hair loss which may include Seborrheic dermatitis,Alopecia,Anemia,Stress and anxiety issues,vitamin deficiency.
You should start Biotin capsule for healthy hair growth.
You should ask your doctor for Rogaine hair solution to reduce hair fall.

Apart from this,as you have generalised muscle aches so you should undergo further blood work like CBC,ESR,CRP,ANA,RA factor to rule out other causes like Fibromyalgia,Autoimmune disease.

I suggest you to consult your doctor again and a referral to Rheumatologist should be considered.

Hope this helps.
Please press reply button if you have follow-up query.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thanks dear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been tested for lupus, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and vitamin deficiencies, with no results. I was told it's likely due to me being hyperflexible, that this is why my joints and muscles hurt a lot.

Rogaine is not available in Canada.

Is biotin really proven to regrow hair? Or does it just make hair stronger? I thought it was just an unproven naturopathic suggestion.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Sometimes blood work don't provide significant findings to determine the exact diagnosis.
And usually in such cases,a clinical examination and proper history help in determine the diagnosis.
So in my opinion,you should consult a Rheumatologist rather than consider a general physician to get proper evaluation and management.
If you are located in Canada Apo-Gain, Gen-Minoxidil, Minoxigaine, and are all products available that contain minoxidil and are topical.
Biotin is just part of the whole vitamin family.
It helps in maintaining a good hair health.
For further details-
http://fda.net/products/biotin

Hope this helps.
Thanks dear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesn't Rogaine make you lose more hair initially? I tried it once, imported from the US, and I lost a lot of hair and couldn't maintain the importing. I'm worried it will make me lose a lot at first and that the hair growth I get I will lose as soon as I stop using it.

Rogaine take 3-6 months to start working as this how the hair cycle works.
Minoxidil does initially cause an increase in hair loss in some people. But this settles down in time.
The increased hair fall with Minoxidil should stop in 2 - 4 weeks. If it is continuing for 2 months then it should be discontinued.
It's very essential to see a dermatologist for a clinical examination before starting Rogaine again as it may be possible that Minoxidil is not suitable to you.
You should ask for the skin test in case anything was missed.

Hope this helps.
Thanks dear.